September 1, 2012

School and Hidden Symbolism

It has been a week since school began. So far it has just been going through the motions for the most part. (except for running a 29:27 5K this week...)

It starts out with me driving my dad to my school (still working on getting my license). :P
From there I go to all my classes hoping they'll go faster because after 30 minutes in 1st period I'm already starving. Finally lunch comes around and I go eat my food
and talk with the small group of friends I have. Depending on the day I then either have one or two more classes to go. The thing is, the day's with only one are a lot longer (at the moment) than the ones with two. It even seems to apply to the whole day. One goes faster than the other... usually the day where I feel something else, not just the experience of learning and being bored.

These classes that seem shorter are Orchestra and Seminary. Yes, sometimes they can feel long, but only when I'm in the wrong mind set. And that has to do with everything... the way we think about what we're doing and what our mind set is. This applies to other things to.

For example, tonight I watched The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian with my dad(this is the second time I've watched it). Oddly enough, I've been trying to watch it for quite a while now, but something always seems to come up. Tonight though, it worked out.

In the time that I haven't watched it though, I've been able to learn things that helped to make it a much better experience than before. Here's a list of those things:

- Read The Indigo King by James A. Owen (it has a part that the author shares in the afterword that is close to an experience C.S. Lewis had, probably before he wrote The Chronicles of Narnia)
- Spent a year in Mr. Woods English class where we learnt a lot about symbolism.
- And today, I had a great experience with Seminary and feeling the connection of thoughts, questions, and music.
- Before all of this though, before the second movie was even made, I read The Chronicles of Narnia.

How these connect is kind of odd. My brain seems to retain lots of information, kind of like a filing cabinet. Sadly, these "drawers" are not labeled very well. Whenever I try to think about something, I need a little hint at where the information is stored. Some pages are a little "faded", even though it's only been a short time, but they're still somewhat "readable".

All of those events had things that my brain pulled upon throughout the movie that connected them all together and set them out of the "table". If you have watched the three movies and really payed attention then you can probably already figure out where this led. It led to the reminder that in these movies (which are made from the books) C.S. Lewis left subtle touches of symbolism for people who really looked to find. In the first movie they are more hidden (except for one), then they get a little more into view in the second one, and finally in the third one he just suddenly goes, "BOOM! Catch!", and pretty much throws them at you.

I don't want to give it all away, so I suggest you go grab your Narnia DVD's (or Blu-ray's if you're fancy) and put them in and watch the movies. Guessing from the fact you've got the movie, you must have seen it before and can now really pay attention to the details of what they say and what happens. If you don't have them or haven't seen them, go on a hunt to find/borrow them and watch them. Once you have let me know whether you get what I'm talking about. Also, if you have the books, just read The Magicians Nephew... that one is REALLY obvious.

Thanks for reading through my long thoughts. My brain seems to like to lead me on long trails of explanation rather than just the simple "canyon pass". Hopefully the second part of it (about Narnia) will be clear, if not, let me know and I'll give you some help in finding what I'm talking about. Also, if you know of some other things with this same sort of subtle symbolism in them, let me know so I can check them out.

     Cameron
~ The Lost One ~

P.s. Here is a great quote as a sort of example:

“It isn't Narnia, you know," sobbed Lucy. "It's you. We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?"
"But you shall meet me, dear one," said Aslan.
"Are -are you there too, Sir?" said Edmund.
"I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.” 
― C.S. LewisThe Voyage of the Dawn Treader

P.p.s. If you see any errors above that I need to fix let me know about those too... you must remember what time this has been written at. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment