October 7, 2012

Thoughts on General Conference

This weekend, people around the world watched/listened to talks by general authorities in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is what we call General Conference. You can check it out HERE. There were a lot of cool things that they spoke on and things that happened that I would like to share my thoughts on. Even if you don't believe in the same things that we do, or maybe you don't know what we believe in, I ask you to at least check them out since some of them explain just that. :)


When I heard what President Monson had said about the change to the age (18 for guys and 19 for girls), my friends and I just went, "WHAT!?". This is a major thing for us. It means that instead of waiting for a year after we graduate from High School, we can have our papers in and be ready to leave much earlier. This of course changes all our plans that we've ever had in our life, but hey it could be good.
I think the main reason it's a good change is that it takes away that dead time after high school. Because of how close it was afterwards there was little you could do but wait. Now that waiting time is gone, along with the preparation time though. I also like that he says something along the lines of how you, with you're priesthood leader can decide when you're prepared to go. It may be that you still leave at 19, but at least the opportunity for some is open now.
 President Thomas S. Monson's talk where he announces this.

In this conference, I got the opportunity to be in a youth choir from my area that performed in the Saturday afternoon session. We had been practicing every Sunday for the last month, starting on the Sunday before school started that last week of August. I thought it was a great experience. It was also really weird and scary to think that millions of people would be watching and/or listening to us all around the world. The best part though, was that all of Saturday I was mostly focused on conference, only getting a small break before the Priesthood Session.

Below are some links to different things from conference. I hope that you will at least check some of them out, because the messages that some of the people shared are just amazing. Some even would apply to people outside of our church.
Elder Russel M. Nelson's Talk on missionaries and who we are.
Some highlights from conference.
- All of conference

I don't want you to think of this as preaching or anything. I just want to share some about who I am as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Hopefully you will learn some things that will help you to understand some of the things about us as a church. Thanks for stopping by and reading.

      Cameron
~ The Lost One ~

No comments:

Post a Comment